How to Get a Trade Contractor Licence

Published to Career Information on Feb 21, 2019

Applying for a Trade Contractor Licence 

QBCC Approved Managerial Course for Trade Contractors

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) regulates who can start a contracting business in Queensland for building and construction trades. Tradespeople who are applying for a contractor or nominee supervisor licence in any of the trade contractor classes are required to complete a QBCC Approved Managerial Course (BSBSMB401: ‘Establish Legal and Risk management requirements of small business’).

This course consists of four topics:

  • Structure and financials
  • Legal
  • Bookkeeping
  • Sales

If you complete your course through Blue Dog Training, the course will be entirely online and at your own pace. A trainer is available to support you every step of the way. There is a final project that requires you to create a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS), a business budget, and complete a Business Activity Statement (BAS). This will help you create credibility with clients and keep your ideas fresh and relevant within the construction industry, no matter your trade.

The full-service fee for the course is $460, with funding available from CSQ  If you are eligible, CSQ will contribute $360 towards the full-service cost of the course, reducing your total fees to $100.

When do you need a trade contractor licence?

You will need a QBCC licence to carry out:

  • Building work over $3,300
  • Building work over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulics Services design
  • Building of any value involving:
  • Drainage
  • Plumbing and Drainage
  • Gas Fitting
  • Termite Management – Chemical
  • Fire Protection
  • Completed residential building inspection
  • Building – low rise, medium rise, and open
  • Site Classification

Trade Contractor Application:

To become a trade contractor in Queensland, you must submit a completed Individual licence application form. Even if you are licensed in another state, that licence does not permit you to perform building work in Queensland and you will need to apply for a QBCC licence before you can commence work.

How to Apply:

In order to have your application accepted, you will need to provide QBCC with the following:

  • Individual Licence Application
  • Resume  - detailing experience in the scope of work
  • QBCC Managerial Qualification
  • Technical qualification - completion certificate for apprenticeship or skills assessment
  • Mutual recognition licence application form - for individuals who hold a current licence in another state
  • Proof of identity - if photo identification is not available
  • Statutory Declaration - for partnership agreements only

Once you have completed your application you can lodge it, along with all the supporting documents and the application fee, via post (GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001), or in person at your nearest QBCC office.

How long will it take to be processed?

QBCC will take approximately 6-8 weeks to process your application and, once it is approved, will send a letter which will include your licence number.


The application fee is determined by your revenue. There are three financial categories:

Maximum Revenue
Application Fee
Up to $200,000
Up to $600,000
Category 1
$600,001 - $3,000,000
Category 2
$3,000,001 - $12,000,000
Category 3
$12,000,001 - $30,000,000
Category 4
$30,000,001 - $60,000,000
Category 5
$60,000,001 - $120,000,000
Category 6
$120,000,001 - $240,000,000
Category 7

When don’t you need a trade contractor licence?

You don’t need a licence if you are carrying out building work as:

  • An employee of a licensee, where your employer holds the correct QBCC licence to cover the scope of work you are completing
  • A sub-trade contractor for a licensed trade contractor where the licensed trade contractor holds the correct QBCC licence
  • An owner carrying out work on own property not exceeding $11,000
  • An asbestos removal worker (contact Workplace Health and Safety
  • A demolition worker (contact Workplace Health and Safety
  • An insulation installer
  • A handyman, as long as the value of the work is no more than $3,300, isn’t electrical or plumbing work, and doesn’t require an occupational licence
  • An architect who is carrying out building design work or building inspections on all types of buildings

For more information about the QBCC Managerial Course, or the QBCC licence, please contact us on 3166 3900 or at